Just opposite City Airport, the Royal Docks Adventure boasts access to a fantastic body of water. Royal Albert Dock is one of only four 2000m rowing and kayaking courses in the UK and Victoria Dock offers some of the best sailing conditions anywhere in London.
Thanks to support from the London Borough of Newham, British Rowing, British Canoeing, Royal Yachting Association and Sport England, the Royal Docks Adventure can now offer an enormous range of activity at very competitive prices.
We are confident there is an activity or a course that is right for you. We welcome all ages and abilities.
All rowing activity is for young people aged 11 and over
All sailing and paddle sport activity is for young people aged 10 and over
Conditions of participation, acknowledgement of risk and waiver of liability form must be submitted. All documents need to be received by LYR at least 72 hours ahead of the beginning of the first session. Please contact the centre to be sent the above forms.
- Washing and changing facilities are available on-site and all participants will be made aware of procedures in the event of a capsize.
- The rescue launch will be used for all sessions where appropriate, but other safety methods for water rescue can and will be adopted and not compromised.
- We advise strongly that all participants and responsible adults visit the British Rowing ‘Row Safe’ pages at: www.britishrowing.org/upload/files/RowSafe/5-3-WaterborneDiseases-v1.pdf to make themselves aware of common sense practice when on the water.
All participants are to bring appropriate clothing and footwear, which may get wet. We recommend trainers or sports shoes, tracksuit bottoms/shorts and several layers of t-shirts/tight fitting tops to allow free movement. Jeans or school uniform are not allowed afloat. A second change of clothes is essential, which might be School Uniform.
Lockers are available, these take a £1 coin deposit. We encourage participants to leave mobile phones and valuables at school.
All sessions for all watersports are to be booked via email. Please contact Bobbie Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. When we have received the appropriate safety documentation and health declaration for each participant, you will receive a confirmation email stating the times and dates of your scheduled activity.
LYR or Sea Cadets reserve the right to cancel sessions on the day if our coaches feel that it is unsafe to go on the water. We will cancel the session in the event of:
- Thunder and lightning
- Temperatures/Wind chill lower than 0
- High winds above force 5 (for rowing)
- Water iced over
- Dense fog reducing visibility to less than 500 metres
In the unlikely event that a session is cancelled for any of the above listed reasons, we regret that LYR is unable to refund charge for the session. LYR will always endeavour to run a session inside on either the tank or the rowing machine under these circumstances.